July 12, 2013

Housekeeping Kitsch: Boiling Water.

I miss you, old friend!!!
Ha!  You totally thought you already KNEW how to boil water, didn't you?!  So did I!  And yet, at a spry old 32 I just figured out how to do it in under a minute (and without the induction stove on my "as if" list!)  While I don't MIND my new glass top stove (especially with it's new cherry knobs!) it's no 5-burner-gas-powered beauty like I was spoiled with at the old house.

I've DEFINITELY noticed that my new stove takes FOREVER to boil a pot of water, which is inconvenient, to say the least.  And THEN!  I FIGURED IT OUT.  Now I'm sure you're all rolling your eyes at me, but I'm serious: I never thought of this before!  I filled the pot with the hottest water from the tap.  Mostly I was just too lazy to turn the water down.  And really, how much of a difference could those extra degrees really make??  Um, apparently a HUGE difference!  My 5qt Le Creuset cast iron pot is wonderful, but it's quite large and normally takes FOREVER to boil.  Filling it with hot water from the tap first? Just over a minute!!!  I mean, holy cow!  Who'd of thunk it?!  Geez, what the heck else am I missing!  Again, it's not that it made a difference, it's how MUCH of a difference.  It was kind of shocking, honestly!
 boil, baby, boil!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment